As applied research laboratory, we follow the view of the Swiss National Science Foundation on research output diversity which is reflected in the listings on this page, and we prefer real-time, diamond open access & open review dissemination of our results through (pr)eprints and open source/date repositories.
Peer-reviewed journal and magazine publications
- P. Leitner, E. Wittern, J. Spillner, W. Hummer: A mixed-method empirical study of Function-as-a-Service software development in industrial practice. Journal of Systems and Software (JSS), volume 146, March 2019, pages 340-359, online December 2018. (older preprint June 2018: PeerJ Preprints 6:e27005v1; embargoed digital collection entry)
- G. Toffetti, S. Brunner, M. Blöchlinger, J. Spillner, T. M. Bohnert: Self-managing cloud-native applications: design, implementation and experience. Future Generation Computer Systems (FGCS) special issue on Cloud Incident Management, volume 72, July 2017, pages 165-179, online September 2016.
Peer-reviewed conference publications
- P. Gkikopoulos, “Data Distribution and Exploitation in a Global Microservice Artefact Observatory”, 15th IEEE World Congress on Services (SERVICES), Milan, Italy, July 2019. (author version; slides; TODO digitalcollection; IEEExplore pp. 319-322)
- O. Serhiienko, P. Gkikopoulos, J. Spillner, “Extensible Declarative Management of Cloud Resources across Providers”, 6th Workshop on CrossCloud Infrastructures & Platforms (CrossCloud) @ 19th CCGrid, Larnaca, Cyprus, May 2019. (author version; slides; digitalcollection; IEEExplore pp. 678-683)
- Y. Zhou, X. Yan, T. Chen, S. Panichella, H. Gall, “DRONE: A Tool to Detect and Repair Directive Defects in Java APIs Documentation”, Proceedings of the 41st International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), Montreal, Canada, May 2019. To appear.
- Y. Bogado-Sarubbi, W. Benitez-Davalos, J. Spillner, F. Lopez-Pires, “Towards Sustainable Ecosystems for Cloud Functions”, European Symposium on Serverless Computing and Applications (ESSCA), Zurich, Switzerland, December 2018. (paper copy; slides copy/speakerdeck; CEUR-WS vol. 2330, pp. 18-24, March 2019)
- S. Dorodko and J. Spillner, “Selective Java Code Transformation into AWS Lambda functions”, European Symposium on Serverless Computing and Applications (ESSCA), Zurich, Switzerland, December 2018. (paper copy; slides copy/speakerdeck; CEUR-WS vol. 2330, pp. 9-17, March 2019)
- M. Al-Ameen and J. Spillner: “A systematic and open exploration of FaaS research”, European Symposium on Serverless Computing and Applications (ESSCA), Zurich, Switzerland, December 2018. (paper copy; slides copy/speakerdeck; CEUR-WS vol. 2330, pp. 30-35, March 2019)
- S. Murphy and A. Edmonds: “Realizing Edge Computing connectivity with Open Virtual Networking”, 5th International Workshop on Smart City Clouds: Technologies, Systems and Applications (SCCTSA) @ 11th UCC, Zurich, Switzerland, December 2018. To appear.
- O. Serhiienko, J. Spillner: “Systematic and recomputable comparison of cloud management platforms”, 10th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom), Nicosia, Cyprus, December 2018. (author version; slides; IEEExplore)
- C. V. Alexandru, J. J. Merchante, S. Panichella, S. Proksch, H. Gall, G. Robles: “On the Usage of ‘Pythonic’ Idioms in Python Programs”, Onward!, Boston, Massachusetts, United States, November 2018. To appear.
- J. Spillner, M. Ramírez López: “Transactional Migration of Inhomogeneous Composite Cloud Applications”, 4th International Workshop on Cloud Adoption and Migration (CloudWays) @ 7th ESOCC, Como, Italy, September 2018. To appear. (author version (preproceedings); slides/speakerdeck)
- J. Spillner, Y. Bogado, W. Benítez, F. López Pires, “Co-Transformation to Cloud-Native Applications — Development Experiences and Experimental Evaluation”, 8th International Conference on Cloud Computing and Services Science (CLOSER), Funchal, Madeira – Portugal, May 2018. (author version; slides; digitalcollection; SCITEPRESS DL)
- G. Toffetti, T. Lötscher, S. Kenzhegulov, J. Spillner, and T. M. Bohnert. 2017. Cloud Robotics: SLAM and Autonomous Exploration on PaaS. In Companion Proceedings of the10th International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC ’17 Companion). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 65-70. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3147234.3148100
- M. Ramírez López, J. Spillner, “Towards Quantifiable Boundaries for Elastic Horizontal Scaling of Microservices”, 6th International Workshop on Clouds and (eScience) Applications Management (CloudAM) / 10th International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing Companion (UCC), Austin, Texas, USA, December 2017. (author version; slides; digitalcollection; ACM DL)
- J. Spillner, C. Mateos, D. A. Monge, “FaaSter, Better, Cheaper: The Prospect of Serverless Scientific Computing and HPC”, 4th Latin American Conference on High Performance Computing (CARLA), Buenos Aires, Argentina, September 2017. (author version; slides; Springer CCIS vol. 796 pp. 154-168)
- J. Spillner, G. Toffetti, M. Ramírez López, “Cloud-Native Databases: An Application Perspective”, 3rd International Workshop on Cloud Adoption and Migration (CloudWays) @ 6th ESOCC, Oslo, Norway, September 2017. (author version; slides; Springer CCIS vol. 824 pp. 102-116)
- A. P. Vumo, J. Spillner, S. Köpsell, “Analysis of Mozambican Websites: How do they protect their users?”, 16th International Information Security South Africa Conference (ISSA), Johannesburg, South Africa, August 2017.
- M. Skoviera, P. Harsh, O. Serhiienko, M. Perez Belmonte, T. B. Bohnert, “Monetization of Infrastructures and Services”, European Conference on Networks and Communications (EuCNC), Oulu, Finland, June 2017.
- J. Spillner, M. Beck, A. Schill, T. M. Bohnert, “Stealth Databases: Ensuring User-Controlled Queries in Untrusted Cloud Environments”, 8th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC), Limassol, Cyprus, December 2015. (slides; author version; IEEExplore/ACM DL)
- S. Brunner, M. Blöchlinger, G. Toffetti, J. Spillner, T. M. Bohnert, “Experimental Evaluation of the Cloud-Native Application Design”, 4th International Workshop on Clouds and (eScience) Application Management (CloudAM), Limassol, Cyprus, December 2015. (slides; author version; IEEExplore/ACM DL)
Diamond open access/open review preprints/e-prints
- Josef Spillner, Quantitative Analysis of Cloud Function Evolution in the AWS Serverless Application Repository, arXiv:1905.04800, May 2019.
- Josef Spillner, Quality Assessment and Improvement of Helm Charts for Kubernetes-Based Cloud Applications, arXiv:1901.00644, January 2019.
- Josef Spillner, Transformation of Python Applications into Function-as-a-Service Deployments, arXiv:1705.08169, May 2017.
- Josef Spillner, Snafu: Function-as-a-Service (FaaS) Runtime Design and Implementation, arXiv:1703.07562, March 2017.
- Josef Spillner and Serhii Dorodko, Java Code Analysis and Transformation into AWS Lambda Functions, arXiv:1702.05510, February 2017.
- Josef Spillner, Exploiting the Cloud Control Plane for Fun and Profit, arXiv:1701.05945, January 2017.
Books and book chapters
- A. Luntovskyy and J. Spillner, “Architectural Transformations in Network Services and Distributed Systems“, Springer Vieweg, 2017. ISBN 978-3-658-14840-9.
Research Software and Testbeds
Please refer to our repository at Github.
Please refer to our datasets at Zenodo.
Find recent talk and tutorial slides at Speakerdeck.
- Josef Spillner: Recent advances in serverless computing (speakerdeck), SIX IT Expert Forum, March 2019.
- Josef Spillner: Learning more about the ingredients of cloud applications (speakerdeck)(video), CERN Computing Seminar, February 2019.
- Oleksii Serhiienko: FaaS-based Universal Multi-Cloud Connectors / Distributed Lambda functions to improve and extend the functionality of cloud management platforms (speakerdeck), ESSCA, December 2018.
- Josef Spillner: Helm Charts Quality Analysis (slides), Future Cloud Applications #5, Zurich, June 2018.
- Josef Spillner: Understanding Mixed-Technology Cloud Applications (speakerdeck), AGH University of Science and Technology, June 2018.
- Josef Spillner: Cloudware and Beyond: Engineering Methods and Tools (slides)(speakerdeck), 7th Open Cloud Day, Winterthur, May 2018.
- Josef Spillner: Keynote: Serverless Cyber-Physical Applications (slides), Science Meets Industry, Dresden, Germany, March 2018.
- Josef Spillner: Serverless Computing: FaaSter, Better, Cheaper and More Pythonic (slides), 3rd Swiss Python Summit, Rapperswil, Switzerland, February 2018.
- Josef Spillner: Serverless Delivery Hero — DevOps-style Tracing, Profiling and Autotuning of Cloud Functions (slides), Vienna Software Seminar, Vienna, Austria, December 2017.
- Josef Spillner: Technologies and Mindsets: Trends in Cloud-Native Applications (slides), National University of Asunción, Paraguay, August 2017.
- Josef Spillner: Cloud & Cyber-Physical Applications (Machines, IoT, Robots) (slides), Itaipu Technology Park, Paraguay, August 2017.
- Piyush Harsh: Cyclops 3.0 – Hierarchical billing made simple for future cloud applications, Future Cloud Applications #3, Zurich, July 2017.
- Josef Spillner: Serverless Applications: Tools, Languages, Providers and (Research) Challenges (slides), Serverless Zürich, June 2017.
- Josef Spillner: Rapid prototyping of cloud applications with open source tools (a research perspective) (slides), 6th Open Cloud Day, Bern, June 2017.
- Manuel Ramírez López: Predictable elasticity of Docker applications (slides), 14th Docker Switzerland User Group Meetup, May 2017.
- Josef Spillner: More on FaaS: The Swiss Army Knife of Serverless Computing (slides), Future Cloud Applications #2, April 2017.
- Josef Spillner: Containerising Functions using Docker and OpenShift (slides), Microservices Zürich, April 2017.
- Josef Spillner, Cloud Applications: Less Guessing, more Planning and Knowing (slides), University of Coimbra, May 2016.
- Josef Spillner, The Next Service Wave: Prototyping Cloud-Native and Stealthy Applications (slides), IBM Research Zurich, September 9th 2015.
Tutorial transcripts and slides
- Diego Martín: Building a serverless application using FaaS workflows (slides)(transcript)(code; rename to .zip). Tutorial @ ESSCA 2018, Zurich, Switzerland, December 2018.
- Josef Spillner: Distributed Service Prototyping with Cloud Functions (slides)(speakerdeck) (transcript). Tutorial @ ICDCS 2018, Vienna, Austria, July 2018.
- Josef Spillner: Practical Tooling for Serverless Computing (slides) (transcript). Tutorial @ UCC 2017, Austin, Texas, USA, December 2017.
- Josef Spillner: Function-as-a-Service: A Pythonic perspective on Serverless Computing (slides) (transcript), PyParis, June 2017.
Please refer to our online video collection.