Financial accounting is a very critical process in the monetization process of any service. In the telecommunication world, these processes have long been documented, used, and standardized. Cloud computing being a relatively new paradigm, is still undergoing a transition phase. Many new services are being defined and there is still a huge untapped potential to be exploited.
Rating, Charging, and Billing (RCB) are key activities that allows a service provider to fix monetary values for the resources and services it offers, and allows it to bill the customers consuming the services offered.
Given a general service scenario, how can the key metrics be identified. The identification of measurable metrics is essential for determining a useful pricing function to be attached to the metric. The challenges we are trying to address under this initiative are multi-dimensional. Is it possible to come up with a general enough RCB model that can address the needs of multiple cloud services – IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, and many more that would be defined in the future?
Where is the correct boundary between real-time charging strategy, which could be very resource intensive, versus a periodic strategy which has the risk of over-utilization of resources by the consumers between two cycles? Can a viable middle-path strategy be established for cloud based services. Can pre-paid pricing model be adapted for the cloud?
|User Data Records||https://github.com/icclab/cyclops-udr|
|Rating & Charging||https://github.com/icclab/cyclops-rc|
- rule engine and pricing strategies
- prediction engine and alarming
- revenue sharing and SLAs
- usage collectors
- vBrownBag Talk, OpenStack Summit, Paris, 2014
- Swiss Open Cloud Day, Bern, 2014
- CYCLOPS Demo
- OpenStack Meetup, Winterthur, 2014
- Presentation (available online): Rating, Charging, Billing – A cloud computing perspective
- CYCLOPS – Rating, Charging & Billing Framework
Articles and Info
- Blog article: CYCLOPS Dashboard: Usage visualization, rate configuration & billing for OpenStack
- Blog article: Dynamic Rating, charging & billing for cloud – a micro service perspective
- Blog article: Rating, charging and billing for the clouds – Cyclops demo
- Blog article: Making money from your cloud services – Part 1
- Blog article: Making money from your cloud services – Part 2
- Reading List (partial list, online): RCB – SoTA (bibliography)
- S. Patanjali, B. Truninger, P. Harsh, T. Bohnert, “Cyclops: Rating, Charging & Billing framework for cloud“, The 13th international conference on Telecommunications, Graz, Austria, 2015
- P. Harsh, K. Benz, I. Trajkovska, A. Edmonds, P. Comi, T. Bohnert, “A highly available generic billing architecture for heterogenous mobile cloud services”, The 2014 World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Applied Computing, Las Vegas, USA.
- P. Harsh, A Highly Available Generic Billing Architecture for Heterogeneous Mobile Cloud Services (slides), 2014 World Congress in Computer Science, July 2014, Las Vegas, USA
Following the ICCLab research approach