At the beginning of this year the Cloud-Native Applications Seed Project (short: CNA Seed Project) was launched as described in this blog-post.
The goal of the CNA Seed Project is to gain experience in what it takes to migrate an application into the cloud. So at the heart of this project lies the application that will be migrated.
We set ourselves the following parameters in chosing a suitable application:
- Must be open source
- Should be a business application
- Should be a common used type of application
There were a lot of different types of business application types to choose from:
- Customer Relation Management (CRM)
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Document Management Systems (DMS)
- Ticketing Systems
- Content Management Software (CMS)
In the end we mainly focused on CRM applications because they are a common type of business application, is not too complex and a lot of open source solutions are available.